New Years Update


Did a New Years clean up of the forum today.  I turned all the unfinished tasks I found into "Issues" so they don't get forgotten about.  This happened often before we switched to Redmine.  As it is, a task may not get worked on for months, but it's still there on the to-do list, waiting to be finished. 

I also did some work on a model of a sea critter (Hooray for Blender's sculpt tool and multires!) and drew some statues that I still need to post on the board. 

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone! 

And so passes another busy year.  :)  For several months now we've been focusing on the Ages of Caliben and Veegtara.  Right now I'm pleased to say that puzzle design is 80% complete and concept art is about 50% finished.  Modeling is perhaps at 5%?  


Did a little revision to one of the journals today to reflect a change in the storyline.  Santiago and Dana, who are doing the Spanish and Croatian versions of the game, respectively, were really quick on the draw--took them less than a day!  

Various things created for the game recently:

1. A really nice texture of a plastic logo, meant to be applied to glass

2. Layouts of several new buildings

3. Drawings of special windows and "stuff" to furnish a room

4. A model of a unique tree

More Tidbits


  • Did a bit of work on the bug model, but it didn't turn out so I'm going to have to redo that piece of the model from scratch.
  • We're finishing up the electrical puzzle, which we've been working on for like 4 months now.  Whew, I am glad this one is done.  
  • We've been doing a lot of wordbuilding and backstory development.  Gotta have that rich history if you're going to do a Myst game!  :) Paulo's been making some maps for this purpose. 



Did some work on the Bad Ending today...a task which appeals to the deeply sadistic side of most puzzle game developers.   ;)  ("Hahaha!  Imagine the poor saps trying to figure this one out!")  C'mon, you know we're like that. 

Might begin writing the scripts soon, we'll have to see what other stuff needs to be done. 

I queried on the Redmine forum, but nobody seems to know how to fix the problems this latest version has created.  -__-

Redmine Upgrade Causes Problems

Last month we upgraded Redmine to the new version. While there were no bugs, there were some changes to the interface that have made us lessefficient. :/

1. The Documents window now features expanded descriptions. It is now 20 pages long and must be browsed by Firefox's search feature because otherwise it takes forever to find the doc you're looking for.

2. Forum threads got divided up into pages, making it slower and moredifficult to review pictures/follow links that were stored on previous pages of the thread. (Which page was that post on again...2, 3, 4?) It also makes it more difficult to summarize/delete the content of old threads when they're finished (a process which involves much jumping back and forth between old posts and new ones). There doesn't seem to be any way to change how many posts display on each page.

I'm hoping there's a way to fix these problems, but we'll see.


Worked on the model of a bug that will appear in-game. Also updated some of the training docs.

I drew some equipment that will go in a room in one of the Ages. Lots of small stuff going on.

Miscellaneous Tidbits


A few bits of news:

  • The website has been updated with a new "Blog" link. 
  • A very cool new look has been chosen for the landmass shape of one of Ages.  The topographic map of this landmass was finished recently. 
  • The Fauna List has been updated with all the animal pictures we have. 
  • A new training doc, Resources for Modelers, has been added to the docs.  Not much in it yet.
  • Everything from our old Lostways wiki has been moved over to the new project management system. 
  • Some modeling was done on a marine invertebrate. (I learned how to use the displacement modifier in Blender--exciting!)
  • Thanks to Andy Legate, we are getting closer to figuring out an electrical puzzle conundrum that has stumped us for months.